This post was originally published by Elizabeth Stilwell of The Notepasser Blog.
A night of karaoke will make you happier than a new sound system, according to science. Psychological studies have revealed that experiences make us happier than material goods. When you buy a physical good, your satisfaction with that purchase is high but decreases over time, whereas satisfaction with experiences increases over time. Experiences are minimalist — they don’t have to be stored, or create waste, or even cost money. Shared experiences have the additional benefit of connecting us with others. What better day to share a happy experience with a loved one than Valentine’s Day?
Below is a list of 50 unique experience gifts for Valentine’s Day. Ranging from simple to grand, free to extravagant, you’ll find the perfect idea to celebrate your love.
1. Go on a nostalgic bike ride. One of my favourite dates my husfriend ever took me on was a bike ride around Paris to all his favourite spots. It was the weekend that we met, so it was uber romantic. —Holly Rose of Leotie Lovely
2. Recreate your honeymoon or first date. Bring back the memories of the beginning of your love by recreating a memorable experience from your past.
3. Take a Spiritual Sabbatical.
4. Spend the night at a hotel. It can be exciting and liberating to be out of your house and comfort zone (even if it’s just for the night). Pack your bag but leave your worries at home.
5. Take a train ride to another city nearby. I’d like to rent a cute little cabin upstate and spend an entire day wandering around DIA Beacon, having lunch at a little cafe in town and sitting by the fire at night. —Christina DeSmet ofDeSmitten Design Blog.
6. Go bowling. At the nice alley, not the cheap smokey one, okay?
7. Get outside in the fresh air. Turn off your phones, set an out-of-office reply on your email and go skiing, hiking, sailing, whatever you’re into.
8. Go to karaoke and serenade each other. ?I Got You Babe.? Time After Time.? Cheesy love songs abound, so take your choice or go for them all!
9. Score sporting event tickets. A classic, but baller experience gift if your significant other is a sports enthusiast.
11. Plan a romantic getaway. Go to your favorite city or a completely new place. Wherever you go, remember you are there to enjoy each other and make memories.
12. Have a spa day. Go to a spa together or create a spa day at home. Purchase some lovely oils and scrubs, put your feet up, and enjoy some chocolate — it’s your day!
Click here to see the rest of her Valentine’s Day ideas. There are 50 ideas so I’m sure you’ll find something to do with your loved ones!